Baseball - Mon, Apr. 17, 2017
Doane Baseball resumed conference action with Hastings on Monday afternoon in Crete. The two teams combined to play 19 innings on the diamond and it was the Broncos walking away with a sweep, winning 1-0 and 5-3. The losses left Doane at 17-24 on the season and 8-12 in the GPAC.
Game One Highlights
- Hastings took the first game in a pitcher's dual, 1-0, as Andrew Kuta was able to out-dual Caleb Goedeken (JR/Hebron, Neb.). Both pitchers threw well but a two-out single in the 2nd inning proved to be the difference in the game.
- Doane had four hits in the game, however, Kuta only faced one batter over the minimum as he picked off two runners and the defense turned a double play.
- Hastings had other chances in the game, leaving 10 runners on base. Goedeken was able to work around eight hits and a walk over seven innings of work.
- Zack Petersen hit a triple in the 2nd inning for Hastings and with two outs, Ty O'Brien singled for the only run of the game for the Broncos.
Game Two Highlights
- In a marathon type of a game, Hastings won in 12 innings over the Tigers.
- The Broncos scored a run in the 2nd inning on a ground out following a lead-off double to open the inning.
- Doane came back with three runs in the bottom of the 2nd on one hit.
- Eduardo Yanez (SO/Mexico City, Mexico) hit a solo home run to open the inning, his ninth of the season. Two walks and an error later, the Tigers had the bases loaded. Jacob Duhey (JR/Mission Viejo, Calif.) drove in the go-ahead run on a fielder's choice and a wild pitch plated the third run of the inning.
- Hastings came back with two runs in the 4th inning on three hits. Will Frei picked up his second RBI of the game to tie the match-up at 3-3.
- The teams remained scoreless for the next seven innings as they went to the 12th inning.
- The best chance to score leading up to the 12th was in the 11th inning for both teams. Hastings put a runner at 3rd base only to have a fly out end the inning. Doane had a runner thrown out at the plate on a base hit to center field.
- In the 12th, Hastings opened the inning with a single and the pinch runner moved to second on a wild pitch. Following a sacrifice bunt, Brandon Utrup singled in the go-ahead run. Hastings added another run before the inning came to a close.
- Doane put two runners on base in the bottom of the 12th only to have the Broncos turn their third double play of the game to end the contest.
- Carter Cummins (SO/Apple Valley, Calif.) took a no-decision, throwing 8.0 innings and allowing three runs on seven hits with four strikeouts.
- Manny Armendariz (SO/Baldwin Park, Calif.) took the loss (1-6), allowing two runs on six hits in 3.2 innings with two strikeouts. Jacob Trujillo (JR/Hollister, Calif.) picked up the final out of the 12th.
- Tanner Nickoloff went 6.0 innings in the start for Hastings while Xander Schmidt picked up the win (5-0) as he threw 6.0 innings in relief.
- Kevin Clausen (SR/Torrance, Calif.) went 3-for-6 at the plate for the Tigers and Yanez added two more hits as the team finished with 11 in the game. Doane left 11 runners on base while Hastings left nine on.
On Deck for the Tigers
- Doane will host Dordt College for Senior Day on Friday, April 21. The first pitch is scheduled for 1 PM against the Defenders to kick off a four-game series in Crete.