Doane Baseball walked away with a split in doubleheader action on Saturday in Crete as they hosted Briar Cliff. Doane won the opener, 9-3, only to see the Chargers take game two, 10-3. The two teams split their four-game series on the week.
Game One Highlights
- Briar Cliff scored three runs in the 2nd inning for an early 3-0 lead off of Tiger starter Jacob Trujillo (JR/Hollister, Calif.). The Chargers collected five hits in the inning with a key play defensively for Doane coming from Ty Haase (SO/West Point, Neb.) has he threw a runner out at the plate from left field.
- Doane came back with a run in the bottom of the 2nd on a Haase double to plate Brandon Mataisz (SR/La Habra, Calif.) who had entered as a courtesy runner for Nathan Sliva (SO/Columbus, Neb.).
- In the 4th inning, Jake Smith (SR/San Marcos, Calif.) hit a ball off the foul poll for a two-run home run to tie the game for the Tigers. Later in the inning, Kevin Clausen (SR/Torrance, Calif.) doubled to plate Tommy Anderson (JR/Victorville, Calif.) from first base to take the lead.
- Doane added five runs in the 5th inning to pull away. Jacob Duhey (JR/Mission Viejo, Calif.) had a two-run single for the big hit in the inning.
- Trujillo picked up the win, going 4.1 innings and allowing three runs on five hits (all in the 2nd inning) with three strikeouts.
- Logan Fast (SR/Elkhorn, Neb.) picked up Trujillo in the 5th with one out and two on after a pair of walks. Fast collected the next two outs to keep Doane in front. He went 1.2 innings, allowing one hit with two strikeouts.
- Justin Niewohner (JR/Scribner, Neb.) threw a scoreless 7th inning to close out the game. Duhey threw out a batter at second base as he tried to stretch a single into a double in the inning to give the Tigers two outfield assists in the game.
- Smith, Clausen and Duhey had two RBIs apiece for Doane. Anderson, Clausen and Duhey posted two hits apiece. Smith and Mataisz scored two runs apiece.
Game Two Highlights
- BCU scored five unearned runs in the 1st inning, keyed by a two-out, two-run home run by Hagan Samson.
- Doane came back with a RBI-double by Kris Jackson (JR/Highlands Ranch, Colo.) to plate Nathan Sliva in the 2nd inning.
- The Chargers extended their lead to 9-1 with four runs in the 4th inning. Michael Wagamann had a two-run double in the inning.
- The Tigers scored a run in the bottom of the 4th on a sacrifice fly by Trent Jeary (SO/Gretna, Neb.).
- BCU scored a run in the 8th with Doane coming back with a run in the 9th to round out the scoring. Smith hit a RBI-triple for the Tigers with two outs in the 9th.
- Aaron Whitehouse (SO/Gilroy, Calif.) took the loss for the Tigers, going 0.2 innings and allowing five unearned runs on two hits. Travis Henninger (SO/Lincoln, Neb.) threw 2.2 innings, allowing four runs on three hits.
- James Ramos (SO/Covina, Calif.) came out of the pen and helped save some of the Tiger arms, going 4.2 innings and allowing one run on two hits with six strikeouts. Manny Armendariz (SO/Baldwin Park, Calif.) threw a scoreless 9th inning.
- Doane out-hit the Chargers, 10-8, as four players had two hits apiece. Clausen went 2-for-3 with Eduardo Yanez (SO/Mexico City, Mexico), Jackson and Duhey each going 2-for-4.
On Deck for the Tigers
- Doane will host Hastings College on Monday, April 17, at 1 PM in Crete.